Project outline:CUT/STACK/BURN is a performative re-enactment of a redundant rural activity - furze cutting for domestic fuel (or gorse outside of cornwall). The project uses art installation as a platform to develop a visual conversation about the implications and absence of sustainable approaches in the management of land and its resources. Our current use of energy in an age of climate change becomes a focal point and pivotal issue in this visual debate.

event poster

event poster

Sunday 29 April 2007

Once the faggots had arrived on site they lay in one solid mass at the top of the hill. As a way of limiting the damage of a potential arson attempt I spread these out around the edge of the 15m circle I had marked out. I felt very exposed and vulnerable during this stage. It was later remarked how it resembled a hill fort. I did actually feel more secure and confidence began to grow once the walls had begun to take shape. Viewing the work laid out on the ground from a distance at the gardens gates it cut an impressive shape on the hill. At this stage, flat packed, it was approximately 60m across. Here a passing moment of doubt set in regarding whether or not I could pull it off as what I was now intending to build seemed to be in direct competition with the landscape - I felt it was in danger of being swallowed up whole by it. I also knew it was about to become half the size. In reality the work couldn’t even begin to compete with the size of space it was in when viewed fro a distance. I just had to wait and see and have faith in my ideas.

No comments:

mini beasts

mini beasts

cross section

cross section

struts

struts

14

14