Project outline:CUT/STACK/BURN is a performative re-enactment of a redundant rural activity - furze cutting for domestic fuel (or gorse outside of cornwall). The project uses art installation as a platform to develop a visual conversation about the implications and absence of sustainable approaches in the management of land and its resources. Our current use of energy in an age of climate change becomes a focal point and pivotal issue in this visual debate.

event poster

event poster

Sunday 29 April 2007

Two weeks before the burn I decided I could no longer leave the work unattended from early evening and began to camp out in a tent. This was most the wobbly part of the project as it meant time away from home and family. I don’t think it would have looked very good if I had received a phone call in the middle of the night in my own bed telling me someone had set it alight. An interesting point about this was the concern other people were showing in and about the work. As I was on site from early morning to dusk I could see when people mostly used the site and who, so it didn’t really strike me as much of a concern. The gardens is 3 miles from Penzance and a mile from the nearest village, though other people thought my presence absolutely necessary. It was quite touching in a way. The biggest danger I felt was people shooting rabbits at night - hot lead and tinder dry gorse didn’t sound like a good recipe.

No comments:

mini beasts

mini beasts

cross section

cross section

struts

struts

14

14